Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eliminated My Phone Bill

Cut costs.  Use the savings to pay bills, put in your IRA, buy gold.

I used to get my phone service from my cable company... this is what I did to reduce my land-line phone bill from $470.04/yr. to $11.75/yr.  There is no difference in voice quality and I have unlimited local and long-distance, caller-ID, call waiting and voice mail.  I have my same phone number and 911 if I need it.

You'll need high speed internet service (cable, DSL, fiber-optic) and a regular phone.  I now use my cable company only for the internet and I have both corded and cordless phones.

You don't need a computer but you will need an electronic box called an Ooma Telo.  I bought mine from Amazon.

I got the box, hooked it to the internet and plugged into a spare phone jack.  That's basically it.

The box cost me  $233.56 and $39.99 to have my existing phone number moved.  You're not required to move your old number (they give you a new one), it's up to you.

So I paid $273.55 total and Ooma will pay for itself in 7 months.

Made sense to me.

They also offer affordable international rates and premium services.

Here's the link to Ooma:  http://www.ooma.com/

Check it out.

Ax

No comments: